Thursday, September 10, 2020

东宫 Eastern Palace: Heavy Frost Made the Cold Ceramic Roof Tiles Seem Bright (Part 3)

After all she was the Crown Princess, a woman who was more deserving than I am to stand alongside him. Even though they have been married for three years, the two of them have not been intimate with each other.
 
One day the spy by the Crown Princess's side had quietly report back saying that the Crown Princess had went to sleep during the afternoon in her palace residence, and that his Highness had visited her, dismissing all the servants including that servant from Western Liang.
 
She thought it was something great, so she came to report to me.
 
I was still very calm, and laughed: "What else can it be, they were just having fun. His Highness just wanted to scare her."

During the evening, the Crown Prince came to my palace. When he has nothing to do, he would often come over and have dinner with me. I was doing my makeup in front of the makeup table, he picked up a scroll to read, a long time have passed, and he was still reading the same scroll. I glanced at him through the mirror, and pretended to ask unintentionally: "What is troubling your Highness today?"

Crown Prince was surprised and startled, smiling while asking me instead: "Why do you say so?"

I casually said: "The scroll in your Highness's hand, you have been reading it for a long time."

He lowered his head to read the scroll, then put the scroll aside, smiled and said: "Tomorrow I will be meeting up with Prince Wu to play polo, I was just thinking how I can win him."

I suddenly felt bad.

There was no wind during the afternoon, the curtains were hung in all directions, I stared at the Crown Prince from afar through the curtain.

He was sitting on the Crown Princess's bed, and did not do anything. The Crown Princess was in a deep sleep, like a baby. He sat next to her for a while, suddenly he looked around before reaching out his hand to lift up her long hair that was scattered on the pillow, he divided her long hair into several strands, then used a hairband to carefully tie her hair onto the wooden pillar that supported the curtain.

While he was doing such a thing, he snickered and laughed happily.

Like a mischievous child.

If the Crown Princess woke up and got up without noticing her hair was tied on the wooden pillar, her scalp would be in pain.

This type of mischievous prank was not something the steady Crown Prince would do.

But the Crown Princess often cause trouble, so letting her suffer a bit wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

As I was about to turn around and leave quietly, the Crown Princess who was on the bed started to move, and suddenly woke up.

As soon as she opened her eyes, she saw the Crown Prince and was clearly shocked, she shouted and was about to sit up.

She used so much force to get up, even I was a bit startled. I am only afraid that she will pull off half of her hair. At this time, the Crown Prince seemed as though he did not expect that she would suddenly wake up, he suddenly reached out his hand to push her back onto the bed.

The Crown Princess's head had hit the wooden pillow hard, she shouted in anger: "Li Cheng Yin what are you doing?"

She was moving like a fish on the bed, the Crown Prince almost couldn't hold her down, finally he suddenly spoke in anger: "If you keep moving, I will kiss you."

The Crown Princess was so shocked that she immediately covered her mouth with her hand, and stopped struggling, looking at him with her big dark eyes. It suddenly occurred to me that her eyes were like a cat, so moist and clear that a person's reflection could be seen through her eyes.

The room became quiet, with just the two of them looking at each other. The Crown Prince leaned over, pressing onto her shoulders, and her eyes looked at him. I hid behind the screen, I could only see the side of the Crown Prince's face, so I didn't know what was his expression.

It was as if a spell was cast on them, the two people did not move even after some time have passed.

I was suddenly worried.

Right when I was feeling uneasy, the Crown Prince suddenly got up and without saying a word, untied her hair from the wooden pillar.

After the Crown Princess's hair was untied, her hair was messy like a round black cloud spread over her pillow.

The Crown Prince turned around and left.

The Crown Princess just sat there, it took a long time before she angrily said to herself: "What's so great about being so angry all day long."

She got up and tidied her clothes. She sat in front of the mirror and brushed her hair.

Her hair was very knotted, so it was very difficult to comb. While she was combing, she suddenly stopped again, rested her cheek on her hand and stared blankly at the mirror. I didn't know what she was thinking.

I quietly left.

Because I was afraid that I would be seen by others, I walked through the alley, bypassing the Qingliang palace, and going back to my own courtyard. When I got out of the small door in the alley, I saw the Crown Prince standing on the bridge alone. He doesn't seem to know what he was thinking, standing there quietly, looking at the sky.

I looked up, there was nothing in the sky, just a few white clouds.

He looked at the sky, I looked at him, a long time have passed but he did not move, I also didn't move.

I thought of the Crown Princess sitting in front of the mirror in a daze, I couldn't tell what I felt at that moment.

He didn't do anything, just silently standing there alone, this kind of feeling was worse than killing me.

I deeply regret that I had underestimated the Crown Princess, she turned out to be one of my biggest troubles.
 
I remained calm, hiding my thoughts carefully.

It wasn't until the Crown Princess was taken away that I felt the opportunity had come.

Of course I hoped that she would die outside and never return to the Eastern Palace.

Father had sent his most trusted swordsmen and assassins, as soon as the opportunity comes, they would kill the Crown princess outside of the Eastern Palace to get rid of this trouble.

Besides she was taken by the assassin, so the possibility of her surviving was low.

I thought that this disgusting and stupid woman would never show up in front of me again.

On the night of the Lantern Festival, for the first time the Crown Prince have asked me to accompany him to the Cheng Tian Gate to enjoy the lights and the night with the citizens.

I was surprised and happy.

That was the privilege of the Crown Princess.

Although the Crown Prince favors me, he has never taken me to the Cheng Tian gate, after all he has to give a bit of respect to the royal family. The rules have always had to be followed.

Although he has also never taken the Crown Princess to the Cheng Tian gate.

I was extremely happy.

I got up early and waited for the Crown Prince.

The situation of the Crown Princess being taken by the assassin was a very confidential matter, the Crown Prince did not seem to be anxious. The Emperor had caught a cold, so he could not personally come to take control of the Cheng Tian gate. However the Emperor had specially ordered the Emperor's carriage to be used by the Crown Prince. The citizens outside would not be able to tell the difference of who is inside, as long as they see the imperial banners sway, they would shout long live the Emperor.

I was in front of the Cheng Tian gate, the Crown Prince has arrived already. The servant next to him came by my side to lead the way, carefully carrying the lamp, shining it on the pathway ahead.

Step by step, I walked up the Cheng Tian gate. Although I was still wearing clothes of a Liang Di, I couldn't help but feel a bit nervous because the Crown Prince had used the Emperor's carriage and the Cheng Tian gate was surrounded by the Jin Wu army.
 
The Crown Prince stood alone on top of the Cheng Tian gate, with a few sparse shadows, looking at the sea of lights from above, not knowing what he was thinking.
 
Recently he was often like this, making me feel that the person who slept beside me for three years, who should have been intimate, was getting farther and farther away from me.

The servant was standing on the side holding a gold plate, I saw the cloak on the gold plate. I took the cloak and walked to the front of the gate tower. The light reflected my silhouette, my golden hairpin shook as I walked, cloud-like hair with an appearance that resembled the flowers. I slowly approached him from behind, helping him put on the cloak.
 
He turned his head to look at me, he did not say anything.

The alleys and streets was like a chessboard. The east wind blew the flowers and trees during the night, the stars were like rain.
 
I heard the noisy sounds of the drums, there was the dragon dance in the distance, spurting out fire. There were countless lanterns hung on the trees, like thousands of stars falling down and sinking into this world.
 
Baskets of money were carried to the front of the gate tower. The palace maids grabbed the money and sprinkled it from the top of the gate tower. Everyone was trying to grab the money. The people downstairs thought that the Emperor was at the gate tower, they suddenly shouted "Long live the Emperor" and did a worship dance.

I thought although this was the first time, the following years to come in the future will be like this year where I will be standing here with him, standing on top of this bustling city, overlooking this dreamlike Chang'an, overlooking these beautiful rivers and mountains.
 
This world belongs to him, and I will stand by his side.
 
The Crown Prince stood at the top of the gate tower for a moment, and then said to me: "I will enter the palace to see my father, you can take care of this." 

I said: "Don't worry."
 
I know there wasn't any rites that need to be performed, but I need to wave at the citizens underneath the curtains, and then order people to throw some money from time to time to add excitement to this prosperous scene.
 
The Crown Prince led some people downstairs, and the whole Jin Wu army that was surrounding the gate tower had followed him. At that moment, more than half of the people at the gate tower had left.
 
I turned around and ordered the palace maids to get some more money.

I don't know why, but as soon as the Crown Prince had left, I felt that the Cheng Tian Gate fell silent in an instant, it was terribly quiet. The bustling noises in the distance could still be heard, the citizens below were still shouting long live the Emperor. Money were thrown from the gate tower, the clanging sound echoed loudly, like a rainstorm.

But within these voices and noises, there was still a feeling of loneliness.

I suddenly wanted to drink some wine.

A’Wu had ordered a servant to bring a crystal glass cup and pour a full cup of grape wine for me. I drank a sip. When I remembered this wine was from the Western Regions, I couldn’t help but feel dispirited.

As I was about to order a servant to switch the wine to Shaochun wine, I suddenly heard the palace maids screaming within the gate tower. I don't know when it happened, but lamp oil must have been spilled. The gate tower started to burn in flames a moment after, it ignited and spread quickly.

I was still very calm. The commander went to inform the general of the Jin Wu army, but also sent someone to inform the palace. Right after that, the fire became larger and larger, and because everyone was unable to put out the fire, several places were ignited.

A'Wu supported me with her hand, wanting to go downstairs anxiously, but who knew the steps of the gate tower would be filled with smoke, causing people unable to open their eyes. Someone nearby was so scared that they cried, it was an eunuch. I scolded and said, "What are you panicking for!" Before I could hear his words, the fire suddenly grew fiercer, blocking the pathway.

The smoke grew thicker. Like a black dragon attacking everywhere, the place was surrounded by scorching flames. Everyone screamed, shouted, and ran away. I never expected for such a drastic change to happen within a moment. I watched the fire burn in front of me. When I was still standing there, suddenly someone grabbed me. As I was about to shout, I just felt my body became light. It turns out someone had actually lifted me up, he carried me with one hand, and grabbed A'Wu with the other hand, bringing us down away from the fire.

I don’t know how I got through the heavy smoke and flames. I just felt that the fire was scorching, part of my hair was burned. I tried my best to hold my breath, using my silk cloak to cover my mouth and nose. I don't know how long it took before I realized that I was already at the bottom of the Cheng Tian gate. The whole Cheng Tian Gate had been caged in the raging flames.

I was placed down, so scared that I couldn't calm down. The man who saved me anxiously called me: "Your ladyship."

The Cheng Tian gate became a huge fire, the flames lit up half of the night sky. I recognized through the light emitted by the flames that the man was the servant who was arranged by my father to be by my side. I only remember his surname was Lu, Xing Er. Everyone calls him Lu Er Lang, he was usually not very talkative.

People kept escaping from Cheng Tian Gate. The palace maids had also escaped from the fire, the thick smoke had darkened their faces. Many people cried when they saw me, especially the servants who knew me. Everyone was anxious, they had tightly surrounded A'Wu and I, like a flock of frightened birds.

Behind me was the sound of horses' footsteps. It was very chaotic on the streets. In fact, every year when it was time to watch the lights, the Capital would prepare plenty of water in case the place catches on fire, but with this kind of intensity, I am afraid the fire would not be extinguished in time.

Sure enough, an imperial edict was issued from the palace, allowing General Long Wu to personally lead the army to close all nine gates within the city while extinguishing the fire to save people.

Soon the streets resumed back to normal, and I was sent back to the Eastern Palace.

Although I have been through a difficult situation, I quickly calmed down while I was in the carriage.

Lu Er Lang had whispered a few words to A'Wu through the window. A'Wu turned around to relay his message to me, saying that the fire at the Cheng Tian gate was quite strange, and that I should be careful.

I nodded.

When I had calmed down, I also felt that the fire was ignited in a strange way. The fire came too fast and too violently, but it was Cheng Tian Gate, who would dare to set such a fire under the eyes of the Emperor.

This was basically treason.

I thought, the fire was ignited to harm the Crown Prince. After all, the Emperor was ill and nursing his health, although not many people knew about it. But even though not many people knew about it, the people who knew were not small in numbers. People within the palace had known that the Emperor did not go to the Cheng Tian gate, so the Crown Prince had went instead.

Thinking of the Crown Prince, I suddenly felt worried. Fortunately, the Crown Prince had went back to the palace early, otherwise he would be in danger.

After a long time have passed, whenever I thought of that night, I felt that I was ridiculously stupid.

Who else could put a fire at Cheng Tian Gate and immediately mobilize General Long Wu to close the nine city gates, of course there was only one person.

He could do such a thing under the eyes of his Majesty, when it was only to save the Crown Princess.

As for me, I finally figured it out. He actually wanted to burn me to death on the Cheng Tian gate.

Otherwise, why was the fire ignited in front of my eyes.

I didn't understand that he was such a cruel person until I saw that cat.

That cat was given to the Crown Princess by General Pei.

After she returned to the Eastern Palace, she was sick for a long time. Perhaps to make her happy, General Pei specially sent a cat to the Crown Princess. The Crown Princess named the the cat Xiao Xue, she loves it very much.

Even though I like cats, I did not like that cat because the cat belongs to the Crown Princess.

But I did not expect that there would be someone who would hate that cat more than me.

Xiao Xue died when it was drowned in a pond.

The Crown Princess was heartbroken.

After she returned to the Eastern Palace, she fell so ill that she was thin to the bones as if she was like a candle, a gust of wind would blow her away.

The Crown Prince then specially went out of his way to find another cat, which looked exactly like Xiao Xue, but I don't know where he bought it. I stood in the alley, watching him carefully hold the cat as if he was holding some kind of treasure. He walked in front of the palace hall, but he suddenly changed his mind, ordering someone to bring it to the Crown Princess. He waited outside the door.

I suddenly remembered that a long time ago, he was standing on the bridge like this.

I actually knew at that time he was thinking of her.

To yearn, look at one another, but not be together in the end. Because of these affections, one would stand there alone silently.

I felt that I was just a joke.

When the situation happened, I didn't actually panic.

I knew that this day would come. He had planned it a long time ago, the Crown Prince was a man who would consider the next hundred steps when he takes one step. Even though I am a bit smart, I am not his opponent.

A complete failure.

<Side Story 3 Part 2                                                                                      Side Story 3 Part 4>

7 comments: